Thursday, August 25, 2011

kindy boy

My big boy has started kindy (finally). It's been a bit sad leaving playcentre, but I really believe this is the right choice. It's all very well being educated by parents to a point, but I think having trained teachers in charge of his learning is going to be really beneficial. For a start he gets two hours of uninterrupted free play before mat time at the end, at Playcentre, the mat time was in the middle of a session, and he never wanted to join in or go inside in the middle of playtime.
I think he pretty much plays in the sandpit for the whole two hour session. The kindy is so well resourced, they have amazing architechtural blocks, a lightbox, great art supplies and many other things that work well, unlike our equipment at playcentre.
He loves rocking up in his backpack, and we have had no missing mummy issues, which is a relief.
As you can see here (orange tee shirt), mat time is something he loves, and I am so proud of how he sits up the front at the teachers feet, and gets really involved in the stories and activities.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That's awesome. He is such an amazing boy. And I totally get what you're saying about resources. Our centre is tiny which is why I like it, but it's not that flash.

Lily said...

yeah, we don't need flash stuff, but if something is broke, just throw it away! The other thing is, kindy is not manic like playcentre, and I think that becuase there is very little difference in age, which can be great. It amazes me how these kids sit on the mat and concentrate for so long at their age.

bonnie said...

It sounds perfect for him, and look how happy he is! I still can't wrap my head around how different Playcentres are around the country - we don't have anything like mat time, it's all child-led play, and we're lucky in Auckland that because every parent has to train we are all qualified teachers AND we get more money from the government, which means our centre is amazingly well resourced. I'm just stoked NZ has such choice - kindy, kohanga reo, daycare, Playcentre and homeschooling are all available depending on what suits each family, that's pretty cool.